Sunday, August 1, 2021

ROSENLOF FAMILY ~~~ Pioneers of the Month ~~~ August 2021

 Courtesy of Betty Gunderson Woodbury 

  The Rosenlof Family Picture was taken soon after they arrived in the Salt Lake Valley from Sweden in 1860. They sailed on the "Wm Tapscott" from Liverpool 11 May 1860, arriving in New York 16 June 1860. They finally settled at Mt Pleasant in the fall of 1860. The family of five included Nils Pehrsson Rosenlof 1826-1908, Anna Marie Rosengren Rosenlof 1835-1875 and their three children Olaf 1854-1932, Janne (John) 1857-1922 and Emma Amalie1860-1861. Five more children were born in Mt Pleasant, Martin Albert 1862-1947, Helma Emogine 1865-1869, Mary Annie 1867-1940, Niels Frank 1870-1941 and Fritz 1875-1937

Two years later my Great Grandmother Kirsti Louisa Rosengren Beckstrom immigrated to Mt Pleasant through the encouragement of her half-sister, Anna Marie Rosengren Rosenlof. Louisa arrived just three weeks before her sister's 4th child Martin Albert was born 22 Oct 1862. She lived with her sister and helped with the children until she married Andrew Beckstrom , 28 Oct 1863. He arrived from Sweden in 1859 with the 8th Handcart Co. They had 11 children, 8 grew to adulthood. (Their picture is included.)

Andrew and Louise Beckstrom

Thursday, July 29, 2021

Lake Konstanz Hafen

I'm not sure where this came from. 
 Maybe from Alice Hafen's postcard album. 

This is where
 the Hafens of Utah came from.  
Scherzingen, Thurgau Canton, Switzerland 

Jacob and Katherine Hafen were married in
Payson, Utah and later 
came to Mt. Pleasant, Utah
Other Hafen Faimilies 
went to St. George area. 


Hafen Grave marker 
also see: 
 Jacob was a polygamist and later married 
Lizzetta Ott 

Saturday, July 24, 2021

Twenty Fourth of July


The parade has been called the "Days of 47" only since 1947. It was originally "Pioneer Days," until 1931 when it became "Covered Wagon Days." But whatever the name, this parade celebrates Utah's unique history.
After traveling thousands of miles across the plains in wagons or pulling handcarts, the last thing the pioneers wanted was a parade. And they didn't celebrate the first anniversary of their arrival; they were too busy fighting crickets and trying to fend off starvation.

But on July 24th, 1849, Salt Lake residents were awakened by a blast of cannon fire and a brass band marking past their homes. It was the first parade marking the arrival of the pioneers in the Salt Lake Valley.
The early residents continued to celebrate the date, and by 1897 -- the 50th anniversary -- the pioneer processional, as it was called, had become a good-sized parade.
LDS Church wards and stakes, businesses and community groups have always sponsored floats in the parade. The military has always been well represented, and of course, it always includes horses, bands, children and queens.
From the beginning, the pioneers who arrived in the valley before 1869 were honored with dinner each July 24th. The last living pioneer died in 1967. Her name was Hilda Ericson and she was 108 yeas old.
In 1931 they began calling the celebration covered wagon days. In 1943 the Sons and Daughters of the Utah Pioneers took over the celebration and adopted the name, Days of 47.

The Royalty of 1943 did not ride in the parade because of gas rationing, but 50 years later -- in 1993 -- they finally got to take that ride.
Since its earliest days, patriotism and the military have been prominent, and every year, the Mormon Battalion is honored. But it was 1991 when Utahns welcomed home a victorious US military from the Gulf War; they received applause and a standing ovation.

Again in 1997, Utahns were brought to their feet. It was the sesquicentennial. Those who participated in a 93 day re-enactment of the pioneer trek across the plains made their final march through the streets of Salt Lake City. That sentiment of honoring pioneers is at the heart of every Days of 47 Parade.
The Sons and Daughters of the Utah Pioneers keep the memory alive. It is a procession of symbols, handcarts, beehives, sego lilies and crickets, which speak to themes of faith and sacrifice, solidarity and thrift, trial and deliverance.
It is our history preserved, teaching generation after generation about the values of the past, and perhaps give us the strength to endure our own challenges.

Are we there yet?

Friday, July 23, 2021

Mt. Pleasant Pioneer: Hamilton School Band 1935 or 36 - - - Salt Lake Ci...

Mt. Pleasant Pioneer: Hamilton School Band 1935 or 36 - - - Salt Lake Ci...: click photo to enlarge Drum Major on the left: Elmer Fillis, Carol Anderson, front; Alice Winkleman right; Tommy Brunger, trombone; Others...

Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Peterson Couple Married 82 Years ~~ A World Record ~ Statue by Avard T. Fairbanks ~~~ Located at the Fairview Museum of History and Art

The following comes from The Deseret News July 1999

Love and marriage is what they are at the end of the 20th century, it may be hard for some minds to grasp the idea of staying together for nearly 82 years the way Peter and Celestia Peterson did. Both born in 1860 in what is now Fairview in Sanpete County -- Peter was the first boy born there, Celestia the second girl -- the Petersons set a record for the longest marriage on record in this country and maybe even the world.

Dreams and hopes, not records, of course, were on their minds when they set off to be married in St. George Temple in 1878. By that time, Peter was a clerk in Swen Nielson's store in Fairview and jumped at the chance to take a load of grain to Silver Reef so that he could earn money to pay for his marriage and honeymoon trip. Celestia had gone to St. George two months earlier. The couple was united on Dec. 11, 1878.In family histories, Celestia remembered how they "cousins" all the way home. "In the days before hotels and motels, travelers stayed with friends, cousins or other relatives along the way. That's how we spent our eight-day honeymoon." She also recalled only one incident that marred the trip. A windstorm came up and blew Peter's hat away across the desert. Because they had no money to buy another one, he made the rest of the journey bareheaded.

The Petersons' lives were not only filled with devotion to each other but also encompass much of the history of Fairview. Peter was called on a mission to Virginia for the LDS Church in 1888. By that time the family had five children and $20 to their names. Upon Peter's return, they were called again to live in nearby Indianola, working there for 10 years. Otherwise, their lives were spent in Fairview.

Five more children were added to the family. They lived off the land as farmers, but Peter also worked as a shoemaker, dentist, schoolteacher, road supervisor, and musician. At age 53, Peter survived being struck by lightning. At age 84, he retired from farming but kept cows and chickens until he was 88. He renewed his driver's license at age 96 -- and didn't even need glasses.