Red and White stores were independent grocery stores in small towns. The company did centralized buying and distribution for the small stores to allow them to compete against large chains that were consolidating their power in the 1920s. All members of this group had the words Red and White as part of their names, usually with the owner's name or town name as well. The firm started around 1925.The corporation Red and White, headquartered in Chicago procured branded products for the independent grocery stores. The headquarters were located at the Mercantile Exchange Building at 308 West Washington Street.