Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Utah State Penitentiary, Sugarhouse, Salt Lake City, Utah


Utah State Penitentiary



The following photographs and paintings show the Utah State Penitentiary, a Federal prison that was located at the present Sugar House Park in Salt Lake City.


The actual prisoner photos have been collected over the years from various sources. Some from the Utah Historical Society files, others from private sources. Some are new to the Historical Society and they have been shared with the LDS Church Historical Department and the Historical Society. Some of the pictures are duplicates with names written on them.

George Q. Cannon writes in his journal: On Tuesday November 13, 1888 and November 15, 1888 my portrait with the brethren. They formed different groups and each group desired me to sit with them. Thursday was a chilly day and I was kept out most of the time with my head uncovered, for about two hours, sitting before the camera. The result was I took a very heavy cold. Br. C. R. Savage accompanied by May Wells the first day and Br. Ottingerr, Jr. the second day was the photographer.

Journal of Abraham Alonzo Kimball – C. R. Savage was in the yard taking striped groups, As I was coming down the stairs, I met brother Cannon going up. I hardly knew him as he had colored his beard and eyebrows - - Louis Farr came for me to come down and have my picture taken in a group of 14 bishops and Br. Cannon. I was the only one not in stripes I had my overcoat on.
Early painting of Utah Pen showing adobe brick walls

Left to right F.A. Brown, Moroni Brown, A Milton Musser, Parley P. Pratt Jr. Rugger Clawson and Job Pingree taken August or September 1885. 
Cannon center with flowers: to his left, Joseph Stacy Murdock from Heber, Ut; Alonzo Kimball on lower step in black, Andrew Wood Cooley – Bishop of Brighton Ward, Right of Cannon: David M. Stuart.. James Campbell Hamilton, top left (highest). 3rd from right: John Jardine; Winslow Farr, Jr., with mutton chop sideburns, right of Cannon: Thomas Harper, Bishop of Harper Ward.

   John Walton Price, James C. Hamilton, Guard, George Q. Cannon, Guard, Charles Nookes and A. J. Hansen


The above photos and history is taken from "The Stay Family History"http://www.stayfamily.org/showmedia.php?mediaID=247
More photos can be found there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello i am kavin, its my first time to commenting anyplace, when i read this article i thought i could also create comment due to this
brilliant paragraph.

Anonymous said...

whoah this weblog is wonderful i really like reading
your articles. Stay up the good work! You already know, many people are hunting round
for this information, you could help them greatly.