Monday, June 8, 2009

FIRE: February 10, 1990 - Photos by Alice Hafen


On this Saturday, I was working at the Spring City Post Office. I had left Mt. Pleasant about 6:30 a.m. I drove right past these buildings on my way to Spring City. Peter called me about 8:00 a.m. and asked if I had noticed anything unusual. And then he told me there had been this fire. We were all so very sad to see these buildings go. The Kinema Theatre had meant so much to all of us over the years. "Kinema" the name was taken from the question we would ask our mothers, "Kin i Ma, go to the movie show?"
Les Lund had operated the movie theater for many years and also a little radio shop next door. Later, his daughter Judy, and her husband, Rod Andersen came back to Mt. Pleasant to take over the theater. The sewing plant had employed many people for many years.
Also, Dr. Dean C. Rigby had his docotor's office in this complex for a short time. I remember having to go there to get my stitches taken out after an emergency appendectomy in about 1957.

This building was once the Mt. Pleasant Armory and also the Queen City Ballroom


Notice our Relic Home to the far left.
Just right of the Relic Home is Jacob's Mortuary which had served the people of Mt. Pleasant for two generations. Bent Hansen built the building and sold it to H. C. Jacobs. It was a beautiful building with a lot of filigree work on its exterior. It also housed an apartment in the rear.
Thanks to Alice Hafen, my mother in law, we have these pictures to share. Even though it was a sad occasion, we appreciate her efforts and desire to record the history of each event both happy and sad. . . . . .Kathy Hafen






No comments: