Sunday, August 16, 2009

Historic Letter Found at the Relic Home





A letter written by Mrs. L. Ransam to Hilda,



Mrs. Hilda Madsen, sec. Mt. Pleasant H. S.

Dear Madam, in answer to yours of Mar the 11, I will say the chest I have in my posession is at Thatcher Idaho. It was owned by my parents, Seth and Lovina Dodge. The boards was sawed from one of the first logs at the mill owned by Dove Potter and Matt Hamilton at Mt Pleasant in the year 1853. The size is about 3 feet in length and 18 or 20 inches deep. It is dovetailed together, has a till at one end. It has been in use ever since it was made and is in fairly good condition. The hinges are worn and one broke. My parents lived at the place at that time.(Hambleton). But the Indians drove them off that summer taking all their stock and came back that night and burned their houses and out buildings with their pigs and chickens in them. O.M. Allen was the man that was sent from Manti together with a guard to bring them settlers to Manti, taking them down in th night.



I was born in Manti, May the 20th, 1853. My mother went from Mt. Pleasant saw mill to Manti to my father's brothers, Augusty Dodge for her encouchment and had returned but a short time before the Indians made the raide and took every hoof of stock they owned.



I left the chest with my niece at Thatcher, Ida when I moved to Oregon and if the society wishes it, they can get it. We have several other articles in the family made from the same tree; one a bread board which my mother used all her life, which I prize very highly.



I think my father's brother Zenos Dodge is alive yet, whose horse was shot from under him while trying to save the stock at the time the Indians made the raid. I think he could give you more information than I could about a good many things if he still lives. I will get his address. Hoping you will get what information you desire.



Yours truly,



Mrs. L. Ransom



P.S. any other information I can give you, I will be pleased to do so. MLR

No comments: