Relic Home and Blacksmith Shop

Friday, September 25, 2015

Queen City


Mt. Pleasant  Pyramid - March 20, 1914



Queen City Bottling Co.

 
Queen City Bottling Co. , Queen City Creamery and Cheese, Queen City Dance Hall,  Court Queen City Ancient Order Foresters,  Queen City Roller Mills, Queen City Bookstore,  
The information below is taken from "History of Sanpete and Emery Counties"
MOUNT PLEASANT, as the name implies, is situ- ated upon a pleasant elevation, near the center of the famous '"Granary of Utah," twenty-five miles north of Manti and 100 miles south of Salt Lake City. The site was selected by the early pioneers of Sanpete county as the most delightful and commanding location for an important commercial metropolis, and its rapid growth and permanent development fully demonstrates that the locators were not deceived. In the early spring of 1852 a company of the veterans of '49, from Manti, camped upon the ground now included in Mt. Pleasant, and began the building of the ''Queen City of Sanpete." The colonists were commanded by Madison D. Hamil- ton, who erected a saw mill and began to cut lumber for building houses. In 1853 the Indians attacked the colonists and drove away some cattle. The colony was reinforced by militiamen from Utah county and assisted in harvesting their grain, when the settlement was abandoned.
The municipal affairs have been wisely and econ- 
omically administered by competent men who have la- 
bored incessantly to make of the city what her inhabi-
tants justly claim, "The Queen City of Sanpete." The 
city has clean, broad streets; excellent water for culi- 
nary, domestic and irrigation purposes; splendid power 
for mills and factories; fine school houses and well-in- 
formed teachers; beautiful lawns and prolific orchards 
and gardens; elegant mansions, the homes of wealthy 
and energetic citizens; perfect electric light system; en- 
terprising and public-spirited business men, conducting 
complete mercantile houses; modern and well-equipped 
roller mills; first class hotels; well conducted newspa- 
per; solid and reliable banking institution; best market 
and mail facilities, furnished by a modern railway; well 
regulated lodges, representing the most prominent fra- 
ternal organizations; capable and competent attorneys, 
physicians and professional men; good churches and 
auxiliary societies; and all that goes to make up a com- 
mercial metropolis of a county like Sanpete. 
Another equally representative and important wool 
shipping concern is the Union Wool and Live Stock 
Commission company, organized after the Mt. Pleasant 
This company handles all that is implied in its name, with perfect satisfaction to its customers and stockholders. The concern is composed of reliable bus- iness men, interested in the success of the Queen City as the commercial center of Central Utah. The officers and directors are: Andrew Madsen, president; N. P. Neil- son, vice president; Neal M. Madsen, secrtary, with J. D. Page, Simon T. Beck and A. J. Aagard. This com- pany is not local in its dealings nor its official directory, but extends its business operations over Sanpete county and throughout Central and Southern Utah.
The Union Mercantile company is a prominent con- 
cern, which in connection with dealing in general mer- 
chandise, conducts the Mt. Pleasant creamery. This firm 
does an extensive business at home and abroad. The 
Queen City butter and cheese commands first class 
prices wherever exhibited. Ole Hansen manages the 
creameryand Neal M. Madsen the store, of which Peter 
Matson is secretaiy and treasurer.
 
The newspaper business in Mt. Pleasant is well rep- 
resented in the Pyramid, a weekly publication, issued 
eyery Thursday by the Pyramid Publishing Company, 
under the management of J. M. Boyden. This venture 
was started by A. B. Williams in November, 1890, and 
has continued to increase in usefulness as a public edu- 
cator since the first issue appeared. It is a non-partisan, 
strictly local newspaper and devoted to the upbuilding 
of the Queen City and the county of Sanpete. The Pyra- 
mid is deserving of local patronage and is an index to 
the push, vim and enterprise of the business interests of 
the city. Its plant is not extensive, but will grow with 
the financial development of the city and the amount of 
increasing publicity demanded by the ever vigilant and 
progressive managers of mercantile institutions. 
In 1??? the Rio Grande Western railroad was com- 
pleted to 3It. Pleasant and this city put on the highway 
of commercial prosperity. New enterprises were opened, 
dormant natural resources developed and a cash market 
assured for all products of the farm and the herds and 
flocks in the mountains. From that date to the present 
financial advancement has been general, new modern 
residences have been erected, fine mercantile houses con- 
structed, the entire city lighted by electricity and a per- 
fect mountain metropolis created. The shipments of 
wool, sheep, cattle, lumber and grain from this place to 
outside markets aggregate many trainloads yearly and 
the cash returns divided among those interested pour 
into the Queen City a volume of money sufficient to main- 
tain a city of double proportions. With unlimited re» 
sources and such energetic business men as Mt. Pleasant 
has, the future growth to a great commercial mart is 
but a question of time. 
Mt. Pleasant Lodge Xo. 22, Ancient Order United 
Workmen, was organized with a good membership a few 
years ago, and now contains mam^ of the leading men of 
this city and neighboring towns. regular meetings are 
held every week on Monday evenings. A. H. Maiben is 
Master Workman and L. S. Thompson secretary. This 
order lost an esteemed member in Sheriff James Burns, 
who was murdered while performing his duties, and its 
fraternal benefits were shown in the payment of a $2,000 
policy to his widow. Damascus Lodge Xo. 10, Free and 
Accepted Masons, organized in 1895, has regular com- 
munications at Masonic Hall on second and fourth Satur- 
days in each month. H. V. Oassiday is W. M. and A. G. 
Sutherland secretary. This order has members located 
throughout the county and numbers some of the most 
influential citizens. Court Queen City No. 8543,
Ancient Order Foresters of America, was organized
Feb. 19, 1895, with twenty members
 
Erickson, JOHN N., postmaster, son of Peter J. and 
Christina, was born in Mt. Pleasant September 20, 
1870. His parents came from Sweden and located 
in this city, where father died in '72, mother still living. 
John attended the Mt. Pleasant schools and was a stu- 
dent of the B. Y. Academy at Provo. He 
taught school in Indianola and Mt. Pleasant and was 
principal for one year at Redmond. In February, 1897, 
he entered the post office and has given general satisfac- 
tion. He is a stockholder in the Queen City Roller Mills, 
owns his residence in the city and has and interest in a 
business block on Main street. Is an active member of 
the Mormon church. 
 
Rolph, M. G., proprietor Mt. Pleasant Cigar Factory, 
 son of Mous and Bengta, was born in Sweden De- 
 cember 21, 1851. The family came to Mt. Pleasant 
by ox-traln in 1856. At the age of 19 he engaged in the 
mercantile business with his brother, N. A., who died in 
New York City in 1886. He continued the business till 
1892, when he sold out and purchased sheep, wliich ven- 
ture was not a success. July 15, 1896, he opened his pres- 
ent cigar facton", where he employs two men and does a 
good business. His brands are Queen City Gem, San- 
pete Famous, Peerless and Honest Five. 
 
Mt. Pleasant Pyramid 1990
 


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Genealogy Quote



"In all of us there is a hunger, marrow-deep, to know our heritage - to know who we are and where we have come from."



~Alex Haley




L.D.S. Temple

L.D.S. Temple
Manti Temple