Wednesday, January 25, 2017

SHE NEVER THREW ANYTHING AWAY

 
Alice Peel Hafen 
During the holidays our youngest son brought up Grandma Alice's Secretary Desk. He had been living in her house just short of when she passed away.

 What a treasure that desk is.  We are so blessed to have it in our family for many reasons.  We feel that it goes back to Wilhelmina Morrison Ericksen, who was the first owner.  And in it Grandma Alice stored all the "old records".  Journals, Bibles, Genealogy, Photos.

I hold all those things dear to my heart; but what happens to it when I'm gone?  

I hope to share a lot of it with you on this blog.  But I hope you can appreciate it as much as I do.  

 Here is one of the many "little books".

   

From Mr. Wm. Morrison, Mt. Pleasant, Utah
To this Grand DaughterMiss Maggie Ericksen, With best wishes for her welfare and happiness.
Wm. Morrison,September 11, 1888




And so, Maggie Ericksen (Peel) filled in most of the blanks in the book.
Maggie was Alice Hafen's Mother, and a daughter of Wilhelmina Morrison Ericksen and granddaughter of William and Margaret Morrison.
What a wonderful way to teach our children about the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  I fear that we are not so diligent now as they were then.  Well, I know I have failed  in so many ways.


A friend of ours said that when they have a family dinner they ask their children and grandchildren to put their I-pads and phones in a basket on the way in. 


That is the only way they can carry on a decent conversation with them.   

                                     "the sin shall be upon the heads of  the parents".

I'm so glad that Alice never through those things away.  Lesson 1 learned and taken to heart. 

No comments: