Pages 184-185: A conference was held, after a few minutes discussion, they were united and agreed upon calling a mass meeting on the 17th day of February, 1909. At this meeting, Daniel Rasmussen was elected chairman and Joseph Seely secretary. The plan was presented to erect in some suitable place, a large monument in honor of the Pioneers. After a few minutes discussion, this was unanimously agreed upon.
A conference was held, after a few minutes discussion, they were united and agreed upon calling a mass meeting on the 17th day of February, 1909. At this meeting, Daniel Rasmussen was elected chairman and Joseph Seely secretary. The plan was presented to erect in some suitable place, a large monument in honor of the Pioneers. After a few minutes discussion, this was unanimously agreed upon.
Two committees were appointed. One, Ferdinand Ericksen. E. C. Johnson, James Larsen, James Monsen, and Andrew Madsen, to select the character of monument to be erected, and a like committee, consisting of five members, Daniel Rasmussen, Joseph Seely, James Borg, C. W. Anderson and Joseph Monsen, were to devise ways and means by which to raise the necessary funds for the erection of a suitable memorial.
February 27th, another meeting was called and the two committees were consolidated. The committees worked earnestly and it was only by stick-to-it-tive-ness and constant efforts with renewed vigor that they were able to make such rapid advancement.
The census of the descendants were taken and an assessment of $35.00 to the family was made. Any male in Mt. Pleasant over ten years of age in 1859, was eligible to have his name on the monument. Some responded promptly, while some were lax. Madsen made a trip to Carbon County, meeting with a number of the descendents at Price and Wellington, who, after receiving full explanation of the progress and intentions of the committee, did not hesitate and at once contributed their portion. In March, a mass meeting was held to prepare for the celebration. The city
appointed the following committee chairmen:
p 328: Other meat dealers were DeLong, Niels Rasmussen, Evan Ivie, and Keen Tidwell. In 1889 the Ericksen Meat & Grocery Company was established by Henry Ericksen and Alif Ericksen. Later Joseph Seely, Al Peterson, John Ericksen, Andrew O. Madsen, and Stewart Seely were located on the north side of Main Street, between State and First West.
James Monsen general chairman; C. N. Lund, program; Daniel Rasmussen,
decoration; W. D. Candland, finance; Ferdinand Ericksen, amusement; Joseph Seely, entertainment; and also made an appropriation of $200.00.
The work was completed in due time and a beautiful monument, which is composed of white bronze metal was erected on the northwest corner of the Church Block, intersecting Main and State Streets. It stands upon a cement foundation, ten feet square, and is surmounted by six foot figure representing "Faith" typifying the devotion and confidence of the Pioneers. The total height of the monument is twenty-seven feet, six inches. The estimated cost about $2,500.00
p. 194: After the Pioneer Monument was erected and the committee who had charge of it considered their work practically finished. Andrew Madsen proposed that the present committee be dissolved and that a permanent organization be formed, consisting of pioneers and descendants of pioneers from 1859 to 1869. He further suggested that the present committee, naturally very much interested, be retained and that four women be added to the committee. Later a meeting was held at the North Ward Chapel and an organization formed, the name Mt. Pleasant Pioneer Historical Association was adopted. It was decided to meet annually in March. The following officers were elected: President, Andrew Madsen; Vice President, James Larsen; Secretary, Daniel Rasmussen. Treasurer, James Monsen; Directors, Ferdinand Ericksen, Joseph Monsen, Edmund C. Johnson, James Borg, Joseph Seely, Christian W. Anderson, Mr. John H. Seely, Mrs. Henry Ericksen, Mrs. Miranda Omenn, and Mrs. Thomas West.
p 203: September 3, 1927, Colonel Charles A. Lindberg, aboard his famous Spirit of St. Louis, flying from Cheyenne, Wyoming, en
route to Salt Lake City, paused to greet the citizens of Mt. Pleasant. He arrived over the mountains east of the city.
Mayor Joseph Seely having received a telegram announcing his intentions, Mt. Pleasant had been gaily decorated for the occasion and all was in readiness to receive him. The massive plane from which a message of greeting was dropped, circled low several times over the city. After a stay of about fifteen minutes, he left by way of Fairview for Salt Lake City.
During 1928, the Mt. Pleasant Press, a weekly newspaper, was
published by Margaret DeLay and R. V. Tuve.
In 1929, O. M. Aldrich and Sons, Ray and Clair, purchased the building erected and formerly occupied by the Sanpete County Co-op, and there established a general merchandise business.
p 238: 1926-27. Mayor, Joseph Seely; Recorder, Calvin Christensen; Treasurer, Effie R. Larsen; Councilors, M. C. Peterson, four years; C. L. Stewart, Paul Monsen, Joseph Monsen, O. F. Wall.
p 257: Alif Ericksen was chosen as president of the North Ward, with Hans Madsen and Joseph Seely as counselors; Lars Christian
Rasmussen, Secretary.The North Ward Association was re-organized November 2, 1886, as follows: Joseph Madsen, president; Mangus G. Rolph and William Sorensen, counselors. The South Ward Association was re-organized with George Christensen as president; Ferdinand Clark and Lauritz Clark, counselors; Ferdinand Ericksen, Secretary. Mangus G. Rolph became president of the Ward February 29, 1888.