The Sanpete Stake of Zion, which included Sanpete County, was in 1900 divided into two sections, the North and the South, all north of Ephraim to belong to the North Sanpete Stake, and all south, including Ephraim, to the South Sanpete Stake. C. N. Lund, of Mount Pleasant, was appointed president of the north section. On the same date, December 9, 1900, Mt. Pleasant was divided into two wards, the North and the South. Lars P. Madsen was made Bishop, with Thomas West and Joseph Seeley as counselors of the North ward, and James Larsen, Bishop, with Christian Johansen and James Monsen as counselors of the South ward. The first ward schoolhouse, which was built in 1875, was then razed to give way for the South ward chapel. The new building, which was begun at once, was dedicated in 1908. Mt. Pleasant History Hilda Madsen Longsdorf p 181
In 1901, the Mt. Pleasant Commercial Bank erected their building on the north side of Main Street between Second and Third West.
The mountains east of the city had in the past produced a great deal of lumber, and about this time and later, a number of mills were operated, among these later lumber dealers from time to time were: E. L. Durphy, Lauritz and Peter A. Larsen, John H. Seeley and James Monsen. Large forest fires were often seen in the mountains. HML p 182
During the year (1908), the Progress Mercantile Company, which became very prominent in the business world, was incorporated with James Larsen, president; F. C. Jensen, vice president; H. C. Jacobs, secretary-treasurer; S. E. Jensen, James Monsen, Andrew Larsen, John Strom and Andrew Swenson, directors. Their place of business was established in the Equitable building, formerly occupied by the Aldrich Brothers. Mt. Pleasant History Hilda Madsen Longsdorf p 183.
Fiftieth Anniversary Celebrated
Early in February 1909, there was called a mass meeting by Mayor James Monsen, for the purpose of deciding the advisability of a celebration sometime during the year, honoring the fiftieth anniversary of the settling of Mt. Pleasant.
It was decided at this meeting to hold a three day celebration beginning on the 5th day of July.
At this time, Andrew Madsen stated he thought it would be appropriate if steps could be taken towards the erection of a suitable monument in honor of the Pioneers. The city officials felt that owing to financial conditions they were not able to officially take any steps in that direction. Madsen then began to take the matter up personally, having full confidence that if proper steps were taken, the descendants would join in a movement whereby something could be erected, giving honor and credit, not only to the pioneers, but to the descendants as well, and to all of the people of our city. He then called upon Bishops Daniel Rasmussen, James Larsen and Mayor Monsen.
A conference was held, after a few minutes discussion, they were united and agreed upon calling a mass meeting on the 17th day of February, 1909. At this meeting, Daniel Rasmussen was elected chairman and Joseph Seely secretary. The plan was pre¬sented to erect in some suitable place, a large monument in honor of the Pioneers. After a few minutes discussion, this was unanimously agreed upon.
Two committees were appointed. One, Ferdinand Ericksen. E. C. Johnson, James Larsen, James Monsen, and Andrew Madsen, to select the character of monument to be erected, and a like com-mittee, consisting of five members, Daniel Rasmussen, Joseph Seely, James Borg, C. W. Anderson and Joseph Monsen, were to devise ways and means by which to raise the necessary funds for the erection of a suitable memorial.
February 27th, another meeting was called and the two com-mittees were consolidated. The committees worked earnestly and it was only by stick-to-it-tive-ness and constant efforts with renewed vigor that they were able to make such rapid advancement.
The census of the descendants were taken and an assessment of $35.00 to the family was made. Any male in Mt. Pleasant over ten years of age in 1859, was eligible to have his name on the monument. Some responded promptly, while some were lax. Madsen made a trip to Carbon County, meeting with a number of the descendents at Price and Wellington, who, after receiving full explanation of the progress and intentions of the committee, did not hesitate and at once contributed their portion. In March, a mass meeting was held to prepare for the celebration. The city appointed the following committee chairmen: James Monsen
general chairman; C. N. Lund, program; Daniel Rasmussen, decoration; W. D. Candland, finance; Ferdinand Ericksen, amusement; Joseph Seely, entertainment; and also made an appropriation of $200.00.
The work was completed in due time and a beautiful monument, which is composed of white bronze metal was erected on the northwest corner of the Church Block, intersecting Main and State Streets. It stands upon a cement foundation, ten feet square, and is surmounted by six foot figure representing "Faith" typifying the devotion and confidence of the Pioneers. The total height of the monument is twenty-seven feet, six inches. The estimated cost about $2,500.00. Mt. Pleasant History Hilda Madsen Longsdorf p 183-185
In 1909, during the time James Monsen was mayor, three cement side walk districts were created. District number one, on the north side of Main Street from State Street to Fifth West. District number two, east side of State Street from Main Street to the cemetery, and the west side of State Street from Main Street to Fifth South. District number three, west side of Fifth West from Main Street to Fifth South. Mt. Pleasant History Hilda Madsen Longsdorf p 195