Saturday, December 27, 2014

Two Postcards I Found In My Grandmother's Scrapbook

 My dad went to the Utah State Agricultural College to learn how to be a carpenter.  The postcard was dated 1941.
 In 1942, he found work at Consolidated Aircraft, building airplanes for the war.  I wonder which car is his.

I (Kathy) wasn't born until 1947.  I heard my parents talk of San Diego, where they lived during the war, so the year after my mother passed away, we flew down to San Diego and found the place where they had lived in a area named Linda Vista.  I had the address from an old Christmas Card sent to them many years earlier. We wandered up and down the sidewalk of the neighborhood.  Soon, a gal asked if she could help us find someone.  When I told her we were looking for the home where my parents had lived, she said "Oh you'll want to talk to my grandmother."

Low and behold it was a neighbor that had been good friends with my mother.  Her name was Mrs. Epps.  I remember mom talking about the good times she had withe "Epsi".  I felt my mother was present for that short time as we talked with her.  And yes, she pointed out the home where my parents had lived.  It is a special memory for me.

No comments: